Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Grand Budapest


On this evening, I accompanied my two friends and my boyfriend to the Esquire theater to watch this awesome film. To be honest, I wasn't too thrilled to watch this film. I found this film to be one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a very long time. The dry humor made me laugh more than once.


One of the most interesting things I noticed was the beginning scene where we see the hotel for the first time. At a glance, it was just the normal picture and normal scene that we see more than once, but in fact it is 2D. It was almost like a construction paper layout. It was aesthetically very pleasing.

Another thing I noticed throughout the film is that the director, Wes Anderson, used many slightly low angles and medium shots. This was pretty consistent in the first 20 minutes of the film. Before any of the crazy adventures took place, many of the shots were decently long without many cuts. I was pretty impressed with the length of some of the shots. The one I remember very clearly was when we first meet Gustave and the hotel workers come into the room to help prepare a meal with one of his clients. The camera is set slightly low and at medium length as it follows Gustave back and forth between the two rooms. The shot is one long scene while all the workers come into the room. It was very impressive, in my opinion, because at the fast pace they are speaking and maneuvering around each other to get the room prepared.

Lastly, I want to say, the cast was amazing and I was constantly surprised at who was showing up on screen and I was not once disappointed with the acting. This film definitely is worth watching and will keep you entertained from the very first scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment